Are you still using a thermostat with a slider? Does it look like it’d fit in perfectly on the dashboard of a car from the 70s? Sorry to tell you, but your thermostat doesn’t have much value outside of being a vintage artifact! In fact, an old thermostat is inefficient and possibly doing more harm than good.
Luckily, we’ll tell you all about the latest and greatest in thermostat technology and how it can save you money—all with only a few swipes and taps on your smartphone.
The Wi-Fi Thermostat
Each day brings a new opportunity for some tech wiz to come up with a way to connect your household appliances to the internet. In the world of HVAC, the latest innovation is the Wi-Fi thermostat. Before you roll your eyes at the thought of a thermostat connected to the internet, it’s worth hearing the benefits.
- Learns your behaviors: There’s no need to set a program. Just adjust the temperature to what you like, and it will learn to anticipate your behaviors. This can help prevent you from fiddling with the thermostat and expending more energy than necessary.
- Energy savings: On the other hand, if you’re determined to conserve energy, it can help you do that too. The thermostat can guide you toward energy-saving temperatures based on your history of use and outdoor temperatures.
- Remote controlled: Change the temperature easily from your phone, tablet, or laptop. That doesn’t simply mean you don’t have to get out of your seat, though. You can adjust your temperature from anywhere with an internet connection, allowing you to turn off the AC when you’re not home (or to make it nice and cool for you by the time you return!).
- Alerts: If your home is being too cold or too warm, you can stay on top of it with alerts sent straight to your phone.
To summarize, a Wi-Fi thermostat can use automation to help you avoid any surprises on your energy bills. The problem with your normal programmable thermostat is that the program can’t adapt to real-world changes in the weather or simply based on your needs. The Wi-Fi thermostat can learn and adjust, reducing unnecessary energy usage as much as possible, while working to make your life simpler.
Why Not Keep My Current Thermostat?
Most people are under the impression that your thermostat is a straight-forward device without much room for error. However, an old thermostat is bound to run into a few problems that can affect the efficiency of your system.
- It uses mercury: Thermostats that use mercury aren’t nearly as accurate as digital ones. Switching to digital alone, even if not a Wi-Fi thermostat specifically, will save you money.
- Corrosion: Over time, it’s possible that the wiring in the thermostat can become corroded. Instead of getting it repaired, upgrading will be the most economical option.
If you’re in doubt, have a professional come check out your existing system.
For air conditioning services you can trust, Skylake Heating & Air is here for you. Contact us today to find out if a Wi-Fi thermostat is right for you!